Thursday, September 3, 2009

Number 92: Onions...

 
I intended to get outside today to attempt another plein air painting, but the weather isn't going to cooperate today. It's raining pretty good and I didn't have a particular spot picked out. Since I don't want to get drenched when I don't really have to, I decided on plan B. Onions!
 
I parked a couple of onions trying out a new still life setup instead of my black shadow box. I originally liked the idea of the contrast between the white and the red onion, and since everyone seems to have done at least one onion still life I thought "why not". Then, as I was laying in the composition, I started noticing the difference in shadow and highlights in each onion. Then I picked up the differences in the background. At this point I started getting excited. I think I'm starting to see like an artist! And I even finished this one within an hour! Yes, it's a simple still life. But I'm still just a beginner!
Onions - 5x7 Oil on Canvas Board

2 comments:

Martin Figlinski said...

You're doing a fine job! Keep painting and keep working from life, but most of all, enjoy the process. No matter how much experience we may have, we are all still students.

Cheers!

Martin Figlinski

SMK said...

I truly appreciate you stopping by, Martin! I'm a big fan and love your work with the boats! I find it amazing that you can fit so much detail into such a small painting area! You live in such a wonderful area to paint in and you represent it so well!