Sunday, November 1, 2009

Number 79 - Fiery Guardian of the Garden Gate...


Fiery Guardian of the Garden Gate
5x7, Oil on Canvas Panel

I spent this afternoon cleaning out the garden - cutting down and pulling out, piling up and mulching. After the garden was cleared out I had time to do a quickie painting of the thorny bush outside the garden gate. The colors are just amazing autumn reds and yellows contrasting with the still green grass. It reminded me of a sentinel or guard of sorts. I kinda cheated on the sticks and twigs - Bob Ross style!! Hehe!! Oh well, it achieved the desired effect!

Starting with the Pumpkin Trio this morning, I began using a different group of paints - Utrecht French Ultramarine Blue, Cadmium Yellow Lemon, Titanium White, and Rembrandt Permanent Red Medium. All are much creamier that the paints that I've been using in the past and mix much easier and quicker! These colors also seem to create a more unified feeling - more like they belong together instead of fighting with each other for attention. I like this group so far!!

I've also noticed with today's two exercises that what I've read in Kevin Macpherson's books is definitely noticeable and a very welcome change to my painting. It's amazing what a different way of looking at a process can do for the end result!!

21 down, learning and improving!!

No comments: