Saturday, November 28, 2009

Number 74 - 'Poo Collection - Progress Sequence


'Poo Collection - 5x7, Oil on Canvas Panel

Have you ever traveled, stayed at a bunch of hotels and ended up with a collection of little shampoo bottles from each hotel you've stayed at? My job takes me to a lot of different places and to a lot of different hotels. Today's project - a small sampling of my ever-growing shampoo bottle collection!! I even took some progress shots for your entertainment!



The Subjects



My Start...
For my starts, I like to sketch in where everything should go to see if it fits. And since I'm working towards my holy grail of plein air, I put the shadows in during my start as well. (Just getting into the habit!!) I also color the base and the background to get an idea of the value ranges I'm going to work with.



 First Object
Next, I paint the object that stands out the most. In this case, it's the little gold shampoo bottle with the burgundy cap. Not only does this one stand out, it's probably going to be the easiest to paint using a limited palette. I'm currently using French Ultramarine, Cadmium Yellow Lemon, Permanent Red Medium, and Titanium White.

I usually only hint at the lettering on something I'm painting, but in this case the lettering was big enough that it warranted real letters.  Not the case with the rest of the bottles as you'll see next.


Next, More Difficult Colors
I tackle the more difficult colors next. In this group, I was really eyeing the caps of the two left bottles as they are kind of a hint of brownish-gray neutral. It's always fun trying to mix colors to match odd colors from life! I think I pretty much nailed this one, though! The green shampoo, er, mouthwash bottle on the left could be a little brighter and deeper green, but this was as far as my limited palette would take it...



The Grand Finale!
Finally, I knock out the blue bottle on the right, touch on the shadows and highlights a bit, smooth out edges, and color up the base and background for a little added visual effect. Voila! All finished!

Notice that just the hint of writing or lettering on these bottles is enough. Your mind 'sees' the letters that are supposed to be there. Just don't try to read them!!

Enjoy!


No comments: