Sunday, November 1, 2009

I'm Back - In More Ways Than One!!

I'm back from the beautiful country of Singapore! I had a wonderful time and I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone there for their hospitality and generosity. It was greatly appreciated and I look forward to visiting again.

I would have been back here to the blog sooner, but life kept me on my toes as it doesn't stop when you take a trip half way around the world! And I could have done without the jet lag in such a major way!! It just saps every ounce of energy from you!

I'm back to painting this weekend, but I just wanted to share some photos from my trip first - since it's still dark outside (daylight savings time!!) and I have a few minutes...


Swissotel - Merchand Road

I stayed at the Swissotel, Merchant Road, which is right on the Singapore River and the riverwalk. The riverwalk is just a beautiful walkway with color and activity everywhere!



One of the many bridges over the Singapore River



The Lotus Grill Restaurant - On the River!

Amazing as it may seem, almost everything is within walking distance in Singapore. I walked everywhere including Chinatown, Little India, and countless eating establishments. I even made it down to the harbor for the shot that everyone who visits Singapore has to have...



The Merlion - Singapore Harbor

Many, MANY times I wished I had brought my painting gear along - there were just so many things that I would like to have painted! I could have spent the entire time just along the riverwalk!! But I got a lot of great reference shots and I even got some sketch time in! And I read two awesome books by Kevin MacPherson, Fill Your Oil Paintings with Light & Color and Landscape Painting Inside & Out, which are most likely two of the best guides to plein air painting - at least I think so!! Look for some of the influence from these books in my future works!!

Well, the sun's finally coming up so I'm off to paint!!


No comments: