Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Number 44 - Sunflowers in a Water Can

Sunflowers in a Water Can, 8x6, Oil on Gessoboard

It's been a while again since I've painted. I've been traveling, but I had the opportunity to visit not one but two art museums! I stopped at the San Diego Museum of Art to see the exhibition of Spanish art. Wow! Folks aren't kidding when they say they are mesmerized by the works of Sorolla. Absolutely amazing and most beautiful! They also had a couple of works by Monet on display in their permanent collection. Then, I flew down to Atlanta and visited the High Museum of Art and finally got to see my first Sargent! I do have to say that the painters in the late 19th century and earlier had VERY dark palettes. It seems as if everything was dark...

Anyway, this past weekend I decided to paint something a little more colorful. When I got home I found that the sunflowers are blooming, so they became my subject. I've also been looking at a lot of works with metal and glass in them. So, here it is - Sunflowers in a Water Can.

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look! Enjoy!



No comments: