Thursday, July 17, 2014

Ground 0 - The Big 100!!!

Seascape, 10x8, Oil on Canvas Board
Painted 5/20/14

Well, here we are! The 100th piece! I've reached the goal I set out to achieve when I started this blog, and it's a great milestone!

I've learned SO MUCH along this journey. First and foremost is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the artist's hands can only convey what he/she sees and feels, no matter what the medium. The art comes from the stimulation and feeling that is expressed in the conveyance, and the perceptions of the viewer. The ridges left by a strong brush stroke in the right place, the unmistakable speck of color placed by a pallet knife that brings the whole piece together, or simply the awakening of a long forgotten memory associated with the visual representation itself.

The second thing I've learned is that there are SO MANY DECISIONS when painting! Each stroke has to be placed correctly, the right value and color for what's already there as well as for the subject, the right edges to express the focal point, not to mention composition and a MILLION OTHER THINGS!!! And each decision can make or break a piece of work! Frustrating at times, but extremely fulfilling when you get what you're going for - and for me, I'm happy when I get just one element that I'm going for!

Finally, I learned that the first 100 paintings are simply dipping your toe in the water - it's only a beginning. I feel I'm closer to determining my style, but I'm far from anything definitive. I've explored many subjects and have determined my favorites as well as challenges. I've tried many different types of paints and styles, brushes and blades (pallet knives), and painting surfaces. I've enjoyed them all, but I'm still working on my definitive, individual style that sets me apart from the rest - something that says, "I did this! Me!"

My new goal is to determine my definitive, consistent style and move from 'sometimes getting it' to 'mostly getting it sometimes', and eventually 'mostly getting it most of the time'. The goal is to paint another 400, for a total of 500, to see what I can achieve in those two areas.

I hope you continue to join me along this journey!

-- SMK

No comments: