Saturday, November 19, 2011

Number 28 - Cardinal

Cardinal, 10x8, Oil on Hardboard

I've always been fascinated by birds. I think it's something my mother gifted me with as she's always enjoyed watching birds and building bird feeders so that she can watch them all the time. One of her favorite birds is the cardinal. She also likes bluejays, robins, wrens, finches, and hummingbirds. But I decided this painting was going to be a cardinal.

I experimented with the background and environment surrounding the main subject in this one. I wanted to give a sense of 'planes' and distance. You'll notice that the closer twigs and branches are more clearly defined than the background branches, which are softer and bring out the cardinal more, making it pop. It turned out to be an effect that I like and will probably continue using in future paintings.

Thank you for stopping by and looking at the Cardinal. I hope you've enjoyed looking at it as much as I enjoyed painting it!



No comments: