Sunday, September 4, 2011

Number 42 - Foggy Farm Sunrise

Foggy Farm Sunrise, 5x7, Oil on Canvas Panel

Today I decided to try my hand at fog. It's really quite an elusive effect, but given the fact that there were a couple of days this past week that had very foggy mornings, I had some first-hand experience with this wonderful effect!

I just thought of it simply as atmospheric perspective scrunched down quite a bit. All you landscape painters out there know what I'm talking about, right? This piece was a little tricky in that there's a lot of warm light in the foreground and a little cooler, but still warm light on the barn with cool silhouettes of the trees just a little farther back in the distance. Just soft, subtle hints in the background...

Then there was the tall, uncut grass in the foreground. I just couldn't make it look right until I thought of my new friend, the palette knife. What a difference it made!

This one was a lot of fun to do and I look forward to tackling fog again soon - perhaps a sailing theme...  ;-)

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look! Enjoy the foggy farm sunrise!



No comments: