Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Number 59: En Plein Air - The Chicken Coop!

I had so much fun yesterday painting outside that I decided to do it again today!

There's an old chicken coop on the farm that was used by the previous owner to raise calves. I spent the last weekend clearing out all the tall grass and weeds from the fenced-in area as well as around it, not to mention fighting with snakes and a well that stopped working for a while! Anyway, I thought to myself that the results of my labor would be a good subject for a quick little painting.

My chosen subject. Pretty, huh?


Composition and layout...


In the Country - Chicken Coop, 6x8, Oil on Gessoed Hardboard

Yes, there are HUGE FOOTBALLS growing in my background tree! And I could have softened the hill top a little! But my main objective with this one was just getting the shadows and lights as well as the warm and cool foreground and background right. I don't think I did too terribly bad with either, so next time I'll work on edges too!


No comments: